It is our mission to help find the hearing solution that is perfect for you.

Below you will find answers to some frequently asked questions but please feel free to call our office if you have any other questions.

What is a hearing aid practitioner/hearing instrument specialist?

A hearing aid practitioner/hearing instrument specialist provides assessments, treatment and rehabilitation of hearing difficulties in adults. They provide hearing assessments, fittings and adjustments of hearing aids.

What is aural rehabilitation?

Rehabilitation services that focus on adjusting to your hearing loss, educating you in the use of your hearing aids, exploring assistive devices that may help, managing conversations and taking charge of your communication.

What is tinnitus?

Ringing, roaring, hissing or buzzing in the ear is called tinnitus. It can be present in one or both ears or in the head when no external sound is present. Sometimes tinnitus may be a sign of noise exposure or a symptom related to some health conditions. Tinnitus can occur in individuals with hearing loss as well as individuals with normal hearing. If you are suffering from tinnitus, ask your family doctor to refer you to Acute Hearing for a follow up. We have several suggestions and devices to help you cope with tinnitus.

How can I protect myself from noise?

Avoid any exposure to loud sounds. If you work in noise, wear approved hearing protection such as ear muffs or custom ear plugs.

What are the signs of hearing loss?

• Constantly asking people to repeat themselves
• Being able to hear people talking but having difficulty understanding some of the words
• Listening to television or radio at higher volume than in the past
• Having a hard time understanding others in a crowd
• Having a hard time understanding others on the phone
• Complaining of ringing in one ear or both ears (tinnitus)
• Avoiding conversations and social interactions

Are two hearing aids better than one?

Most people with similar hearing loss in both ears will benefit greatly from wearing two hearing aids. This allows for balanced hearing and comfortable communication in different listening environments. You may achieve better hearing in noisy situations, better sound quality and improved ability to locate the source of sound.

Do I need a referral from a doctor to get a hearing test?

No, you do not need a referral from a doctor to have your hearing tested. You can contact our professionals at 1-780-757-3232 or schedule a hearing test online.

How much do hearing aids cost?

The cost varies depending on the type and degree of hearing loss, the number of features and whether or not you are eligible for government funding. Hearing aid recommendations are based on your hearing evaluation results and lifestyle. There are several programs in Alberta that offer financial assistance toward the purchase of hearing aids, such as Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA), Workers Compensation Board (WCB) and Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB)

Schedule your free, no obligation hearing consultation.

phonak logo
starkey logo
oticon logo
bernafon logo
resound logo
grey circle
grey circle

Schedule your hearing consultation.